Moving from WordPress to JAMstack has been an interesting journey, although not nearly as challenging as I expected. One of the migration tasks that did give me a little trouble, however, was setting up a custom 404 error page.
Category: Web Design
WordPress has been a wonderful CMS for my website these past few years. I’ve enjoyed working with it, I’ve learned a ton from it, and I’ve developed a deep respect for its power. For the right website, it’s a fantastic publishing tool, and I’m sure it will be for years to come. However, at least for this website, my time with it has sadly come to an end. I just don’t need most of the features it provides on my small personal blog/portfolio, and it’s been time to upgrade to a better hosting situation for a while.
For a couple of months I’ve been getting a trickle of badly-put-together (but frustratingly well-spoofed) extortion spam at my main website e-mail address.
Yes, the custom lightbox plugin I developed for my website’s photos page is finally officially released! It is lightweight, functional, nice-looking (in my opinion at least), and it even does a little trickery when the page loads to make it a bit harder for visitors to download copies of your images.
For some time I’ve been noticing a strange issue on my website: every once in a while, a file named
error_log would appear in a subdirectory of my document root, visible to anyone who knew to look for it. It seems that whenever there was a PHP error (for example, when a vulnerability probe tried to access a theme file), PHP would dump the error message to a file in that same directory.
Now that my website redesign is complete-ish, or at least launched, I’m starting to work on cleaning up and releasing some of the custom code I wrote to make it happen. This is one of those pieces: a tiny, lightweight plugin that removes unneeded stuff from the head section of each page to make everything a little more lightweight, improving loading times, bandwidth usage, and site security.
I’m very excited to announce a new version of my website! This has been a very long time coming, but I have finally redesigned it in WordPress and added a bunch of new content. It will be a lot easier for me to add more on an ongoing basis too, and I plan to write blog posts every so often about my software projects.